Joy Comes in the Morning | The Power of Affirmations
By Olivia Beaudoin
“Create the highest, grandest vision possible for your life, because you become what you believe.” ~Oprah Winfrey
Even Oprah Winfrey, a woman who hosted the highest-rated television program of all time, understood the magic of simply believing in yourself hence; practicing the power of affirmations. How can we harness such a great source energy like Oprah did, for success and abundance in our lives? Are you open to seeing a positive transformation in your life? Well, let’s break this radical concept down.
- What are Affirmations? Affirmations are described as positive statements that represent a desired situation or goal, and when often repeated they become instilled into the subconscious mind (Sasson, 2018).
To go more in depth about the subconscious mind, is that it doesn’t even know the difference between what is real or fantasy (Alexander, 2011). There is also the Reticular Activating System (RAS) in our mind that makes the words we say over and over again a true part of our identity, whether it’s positive or negative (What Are Affirmations, 2017).
- How do affirmations benefit you? Well, this overlooked methodology can be utilized for financial success, enriched relationships with others, love/forgiveness for yourself, and overall attitude and energy for this thing called life!
- The best place to start integrating affirmations into your life is by figuring out what you need to hear the most. Let me repeat… what YOU, no one else, needs to hear the most; to live the life you deserve.
Lately, my favorite affirmation/quote is, “Joy comes in the morning.” I stumbled upon this quote from a religious studies course that I’m currently enrolled in. My teacher says, that no matter how long the night (the challenge) may be for the characters, the sun will rise again. Whether it’s over a forty-year time span of figurative darkness, or just one night, the sun will shine over the world again; and peace will be restored.
Instantaneously, I fell in love with this motto, as I could easily relate it to my current situation. I’m deployed with the Army overseas and yes, let’s put it nicely, I have had some very long days. However, this is where the “magic” comes in. Every morning, I have a conscious decision to recognize the darkness of the night, forgive the darkness, and let the sun’s metaphorical rays renew my spirit for a sense of lightness and freedom. To sum it up, repeating encouraging quotes/affirmations can motivate, inspire, and program the mind to act upon the recited words (What Are Affirmations, 2017).
Jen Sincero, the author of one of my favorite “self-love” books, You are a Badass, explains that the more emotion you feel around the affirmation, the more power it will have to bring about positive change. Sincero, sets a premise for how one should go about the practice of positive thought by stating, “…the beginning may feel like you’re lying to yourself, but the truth is you’re living a lie, so the affirmations get you back to truth” (56). I consider this book a “must read” to reassess the greatness you are truly capable of.
- Now it’s time to pick the affirmations that relate to your life. Remember, what Jen says, it’s okay to feel like it is not true at first, but I promise you over time repeating the affirmations will convey your actual truth.
15 Positive Affirmations
- I am healthy and happy.
- I am sailing on the river of wealth.
- I have a lot of energy.
- I study and comprehend fast.
- My mind is calm.
- I am at peace with myself and the world.
- I radiate love and happiness.
- I am surrounded by love.
- I have the perfect job for me.
- I am living in the house of my dreams.
11.. I have good and loving relations with my wife/husband.
- I have a wonderful and satisfying job.
- I am successful in whatever I do.
- I think positive thoughts that attract happiness and prosperity into my life.
- I have plenty of inspiration, motivation and courage, which help me achieve everything I want.
- Now that you picked the affirmations that your heart gravitated towards, let’s put them into practice. What I like to do is write down my truth on a dry erase board and place it next to my bed, so every morning before I jump out of bed I can align my day for success. This is what my affirmation board looks like! I start by reciting the affirmations one by one, I focus on the feelings and emotions I’m putting out with each statement; and if I feel like I didn’t pour my heart and soul into my morning ritual… I do it again, and again, and again, until I truly feel fulfilled.
- Lastly, write down your affirmations, recite them religiously, and most of all… go out and live the life that you’ve always deserved.
Alexander, Ronald. “The Power of Affirmations.” The Huffington Post, TheHuffingtonPost.com, 9 Oct. 2011, www.huffingtonpost.com/ronald-alexander-phd/positive-affirmations_b_921184.html.
Lifestyle, Proprietor. “11 Successful Celebrities Who Believe in the Law of Attraction.” Medium, Medium, 27 June 2017, medium.com/@proprietorlifestyle/11-successful-celebrities-who-believe-in-the-law-of-attraction-c196d84634f6.
Sasson, Remez. “The Power of Affirmations and Positive Statements.” Success Consciousness Blog, 2018, www.successconsciousness.com/positive-affirmations.html.
“What Are Affirmations?” PowerThoughts Meditation Club, 2017, powerthoughtsmeditationclub.com/what-are-affirmations/.
Sincero, Jen. You Are a Badass - How to Stop Doubting Your Greatness and Start Living An Awesome Life. The Perseus Books Group, 2013.